Have Questions? Need Help?

Have a question about pregnancy, abortion, STDs or sex? Need help? Any age, confidential. Email birdsbeestalk@gmail.com

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sunday Abortion

   I thought I would take a moment and share my story with you. My name is not important, but my story is.

    I took a home pregnancy test and found out I was pregnant. It came as a big surprise. I wasn't married. I was living with my boyfriend and we weren't ready to have a baby, financially, emotionally, or any other way. I was confused and extremely emotional. I cried for the first three days.

     On a Sunday morning, I called an abortion clinic not thinking that they would be open, but the doctor himself answered the phone. I told him I was contemplating an abortion and he told me to come in within two hours with three hundred dollars cash and he would take care of it that day. I didn't have time to think about my decision. I simply got dressed and drove myself down there.

     When I arrived I was surprised to find no cars in the parking lot and nobody in the lobby. The doctor came out and greeted me. He appeared to be at least seventy years old and shuffled his feet. The lobby was cold and depressing, as was the doctor. My gut instinct told me to walk out, but he tried to make me feel at ease and I gave him the three hundred dollars. Before I could sit down and think further about my decision, he whisked me away to a back room and gave me a handful of pills. I asked him why there was no one in the entire office, no clients, no staff, no one. He said it was a Sunday and I was just lucky to catch him there.

     Because I was all alone and didn't know what these pills were, I opted not to take them. He told me it would help with the procedure because some of them were sedatives and I would need them. I didn't feel comfortable taking sedatives and being alone in an entire clinic with a man who called himself a doctor. I started to cry, wondering if I was making the right choice. I knew I wasn't, but at the same time I knew that I didn't want to be pregnant.

     The procedure started and I felt such intense pain. About ten minutes later, after the procedure was over, I went home and cried.

     I was supposed to make a follow-up appointment, but after my horrendous experience , I opted not to go. Five months later I went to the doctor who told me I was pregnant. I told her my story and didn't think it was the same pregnancy, but she assured me it was because I was then about 25 weeks pregnant. It couldn't possibly be a new pregnancy.
    
     I was shocked, but happy at the same time. She did an ultrasound and I made extra sure she counted all the fingers and toes because I was so worried there was going to be something developmentally wrong with my baby because of the botched abortion. She told me my baby looked healthy and assured me all the fingers and toes were definitely there.

     Months later, I gave birth to the most beautiful baby in the world. God granted me a miracle. My baby is truly a blessing.

     If I can urge women to do one thing it would be to really think things through, because when you're going through all the emotions of just finding out you're pregnant the negative thoughts prevail. We sometimes don't see the light at the end of the tunnel and make rash decisions, which is what I did. God, however, was looking out for me and my baby on that particular Sunday because the doctor acted extremely unethically and I wasn't in my right frame of mind to walk out of there.